Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Intoxication & Awareness of your filter bubble.



Here is an interesting TED talk forward to me by my friend Sean Clark.    I'll admit it.  I get stuck in my filter bubble at times.  It's fun. It's safe. It's easy.    But if your'e stuck in a filter bubble, don't blame the tech industry.  Be aware there are potential filter bubbles all around us and they only are going to get more severe as the advertising and publishing industry tailors their strategies to be customized to the individual.  

Turn off your filters to show you all the data.  Go out of your way to find new information sources.   Try a different search engine or change your settings.  If you really care about people dying in Africa you are the one that needs to shut off Facebook and read something meaningful. This is not a technical problem, it is a cultural problem.

It is your job to control your time.  Enjoy the intoxication of your bubble, but be aware when your'e in it.






No comments: